Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6773  
Subject: Re: A Boy Scout Learns a Lesson in Reality Date: 10/26/2000 12:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hunzi, glad to hear that you are having a blast with the scouts. Although I have never been with a Boy Scout Troop, I am the Cub Scout Den Leader for my Son. We are fortunate enough to have a Boy Scout as our Den Chief. This is a true “Lesson in Reality” to have a Boy Scout take charge of a small group of 7 year olds…more importantly, the Cub Scouts look up to him.

If you stop to think about it for a second, how many 11-13 year old boys do you know are willing to spend that hour or two a week mentoring and coaching a bunch of 7 year olds. I even got choked up a little when my son told me that he wanted to be a “real” Boy Scout like our Den Chief.

That is so sweet! I think my guy may eventually serve as a Den Chief for the Cubs at our parrish school. I served as the Pack's treasurer last year, (before he bridged over) and mentioned to a friend there who leads a den that he had achieved his First Class rank. She said she may ask him to help out a Den Chief. It would be a very good learning experience for him.

One helpful hint for camping trips, if you live close to a military base, you may consider making a trip out there to see if they can donate some MREs (Meal Ready to Eat). These are great little pre-packaged food containers that have a shelf life of several years. Scouts love them because of the convenience. We also got a chance to collect some Aviator survival meals (less tasty, but the boys loved them just as much) The pre-packaged meals make it less of a burden to bring along on trips.

As the wife of a 20 yr AF NCO (ret), I've run across those MRE's once or twice. ;-)

I think this time, he will benefit in the lessons of responsibility and budgeting, but MRE's will most likely be in his future. I plan to let him shop at a regular grocery store this time, then at the Commisary the next, so he can see the effect lower prices will have on his buying power.

Today he has learned the hard way that I will not hold his hand too much through this challange. He needed to check with his Quartermaster to see is anything on his shopping list was already in the troop stores. After one gentle reminder, to which I was told "he would do it in a few minutes", he came to me a few hours later asking for the Quartermaster's phone number....

"Gee, I guess next time, you had better write that down, huh?" (Can't look it up because he can't recall the last name, and I can't find my troop directory, it may have been in the things I passed on to the next treasurer of his old pack.) Lesson I hope he learned: Be Prepared isn't just a motto. ;-)

I advised he plan to call a patrol mate tomorrow (too late to phone tonight) and get the phone number, so he can get the info, so he can shop. The camping trip is Friday evening.

Always ;-)
Joann
TMF Hunzi
Register and become a real live FOOL. It's free!

The Motley Fool: Register For Free! You can enter our contests, set up a nice portfolio to track against the S & P 500, post on our web message boards and
get discounts on our products. Just go to: http://www.fool.com/community/register/register.asp?source=CSboards and sign up.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement