Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi,

This is my first attempt at posting - please let me know if I should be on a different board.

Before my husband and I were married, my husband did not file taxes for ~3 years while he was self-employed. His history is like this:

2000-2002: Self-employed, didn't file taxes - total tax bill = $30K (no payments made on this amount)
2003-2006: Unemployed, filed taxes (including those from '00-'02)
2007: Employed, making ~$15K
2008: Employed for several months of this year (same income level as year prior), but recently quit working - long story, but he will be taking care of our first child (due later this year) and is dealing with his mother's complicated health issues.

In 2007, he spoke to the IRS and they said he was in "uncollectable status" due to his income level. The IRS did issue a tax lien on his bank account several years ago, and took all the money from this account, but as far as we know there are no outstanding liens.

I make decent money (over $100K), and am working hard to invest and ensure I have proper insurance for my future child. My understanding is that I am not responsible for his taxes because this occurred prior to our marriage. However, I am uncomfortable with the situation - I don't want my family to owe money to the IRS. Additionally, we cannot file joint taxes and I would prefer to have my husband's name on our assets in case something does happen to me.

It seems that our next step is to file an offer in compromise. We are seeking an EA, but I wanted to get a second opinion from this group - we currently rent, and the only asset in my husband's name is his car (which is ~6 years old - probably worth $5K). Because my husband is not working, how will the IRS evaluate the situation? Will they take into account my financial situation because he is married and not working? We would like to offer $5K - do you think the IRS will accept this?

Thanks in advance-
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement