Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: SloanT Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: Funding future needs Date: 8/8/2003 2:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Hyperborea:The riskiest years are likely to be the early years. If the early years bring good returns then the likelihood of outliving your portfolio decreases. If the early years are bad then the likelihood of outliving the portfolio increases. With either case there is still no guarantee just probability. Changes made in those early years (income increase or withdrawal decrease) will have the most effect on survival.

I always appreciate your math-grounded approach to SWR's and retirement. It's so refreshing to work with logical assumptions and real numbers rather than emotions about what will last.

My feelings about how much is enough is pretty similar to yours. I think the risk of continuing to work is as great as the risk of running out. Primarily because you can always take steps to avoid running out, but you can't go back and start earlier if you worked too long.

I think for many periods a WR of 6% or more will be succesful, you just won't know until that period has already passed. But, you can start out at 4% and adjust up, or you can go with the method you suggest.

Being conservative is a double-edged sword. I think it is smarter to be daring when you choose to retire (do it early!) and then be conservative with your money after you retire to make sure it lasts. For example, if you find that healthcare is eating you up then get a PT job with health benefits. There is so much you can do after retirement to control your expenses that you don't have to sacrifice another year of your life just to be 'conservative.'

st
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement