UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 455275  
Subject: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 3:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Monday will in the European stock market will look apocalyptic.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/10/04/business/EU-German...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257690 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 4:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Would you buy stock in a company called "Hypo Real Estate"?

Maybe it sounds better in German:

Hypo Real Estate Group
http://www.hyporealestate.com/index.php

Nope.

Peter

Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257692 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 4:18 AM
Would you buy stock in a company called "Hypo Real Estate"?

It's from the German word "Hypothek" which refers to the German equivalent of a mortgage on a piece of land.

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257693 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 4:26 AM
AD It's from the German word "Hypothek" which refers to the German equivalent of a mortgage on a piece of land.

So it does sound better to German ears.

Has it been trendy to use English ("Real Estate") for German corporation names?

Peter

Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257699 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 6:49 AM

Yes.

Author: MegHammond Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257718 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 10:29 AM

Yes.

How unfortunate.

Meg (must rid herself of the idea that Europeans are less susceptible to "trendiness")

Author: miro26 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257767 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 2:09 PM
<AD It's from the German word "Hypothek" which refers to the German equivalent of a mortgage on a piece of land.

So it does sound better to German ears>

In Spanish mortgage is hipoteca much like the German. I wonder if it comes from the same root as hypothetical. As in hypothetically speaking this loan might get paid back. ;-)

Miro

Author: LeTourEiffel Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257769 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 2:18 PM
Probably the same root as 'hypothecate', as in to put up collateral for a loan -- in this case the real estate itself.

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257772 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 3:01 PM

It's from the German word "Hypothek" which refers to the German equivalent of a mortgage on a piece of land.

So what does "hypoverein" mean?

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257773 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 3:04 PM
Recommendations: 3
Could this also be the beginning of the end for the euro? What if some countries need $150-200B euro to save their banks while others need little to nothing to save their banks?

Author: Iaato Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257779 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 3:57 PM
Yes. first the Irish, then the Greek, now Germany guarantee all bank deposits. It is the beginning of the end for them too.

The European Union, at least in its present shape, will fall apart, country by country. They forgot to write the treaties that could have prevented that. And now individual panicked governments, like the Irish, do crazy things, like guaranteeing all bank deposits, even though they could never pay.

Willem Buiter writes:
"The Irish guarantee is the most ‘in-your-face’ beggar-thy-neighbour provocation since medieval armies catapulted bubonic-plague-ridden corpses into the cities they were besieging."
Amen. The problem is that there are no other tools available; Europe never thought they’d be required. The first tool you need in a crisis is realism, knowing what you're up against. I see no such thing. What I see in Europe is a sense of entitlement that is way beyond any sort of proportion, and which risks pitting countries and individuals against each other instead of working together.

http://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com/2008/10/debt-rattle-oc...

Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257792 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 5:06 PM
So what does "hypoverein" mean?

Hypovereinsbank

Means something like "mortgage club bank".

Author: kentm401 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257793 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 5:10 PM
OK AD...now what the "H" does that mean?

Means something like "mortgage club bank".

a real estate mortgage is not a "club" I want to belong too....;o)

KBM (simpleton)

Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257800 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 5:58 PM

a real estate mortgage is not a "club" I want to belong too....;o)

I think the Vereinsbanken are something like credit unions. Not sure though.

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257827 of 455275
Subject: Re: Hypo Real Estate deal collapses in Germany Date: 10/5/2008 9:34 PM
Recommendations: 2
In Spanish mortgage is hipoteca much like the German. I wonder if it comes from the same root as hypothetical. As in hypothetically speaking this loan might get paid back. ;-)

Miro

All these hypo variants are friendlier than the roots of "mortgage."

Mortgage: In the word mortgage, the mort- is from the Latin word mori (via old french mort) for death and -gage is from the sense of that word meaning a pledge to forfeit something of value if a debt is not repaid. So mortgage is literally a death pledge.
http://www.seek2know.net/word.html

"Death Pledge"

Can't say we weren't warned.

Peter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement