Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ChDW One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 186  
Subject: Re: DreamWorks Not So Dreamy Date: 7/11/2005 5:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I actually give DWA management a lot of credit. I just listened to their cc regarding the guidance update and the withdrawal of the offering, and I came away very impressed by the openness and quality of the communication, especially from the CFO (Ms.) Kris Leslie. I get the impression that they were honestly taken by surprise by the poor performance of the releases (specifically Shrek 2) as they moved to catalog. It's important to note that in the initial release window, Shrek 2 and (so far) Shark Tale have met expectations. It's when the titles move to catalog that the performance deteriorates. Now, I'm not sure how that deterioration translates to a $700-$900MM shortfall in estimate -- the talk about lower marginal contributions from sales "ultimates" leads me to think that the downward revision will ultimately involve a write-down of inventory -- but they declined to give firm details. However, they did address the question of how they plan to deal with the new marketplace dynamics, which is that, as I write, action is being taken to characterize this change to the extent possible -- Katzenberg mentioned that he has deployed people "on the ground" to monitor the physical marketplaces -- because whether the effects are temporary or permanent are not yet clear. I don't think it's fair to criticize them for not anticipating a change in marketplace dynamic because I don't expect clairvoyance from them. Instead I see an investment opportunity because I believe management has the ability to sort the problem out; right now they are at the point of realizing the full extent of the setback. The bottom line is that I think the mistake was honest and that they have the data to support their original estimate -- i.e., the phenomenal success of Shrek 2 at the box office and continuing success during the DVD-exclusive window. The cc did not address the SEC inquiry.

The secondary offering is an interesting arrangement. It's not actually an offering by the company, but rather an offering on behalf of the three principal shareholders Katzenberg, Geffen and Vulcan. I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think that individually they are not allowed to sell their shares until the lockup period expires, but in the meantime, they can do a secondary offering through the company. The upshot is explained very well in the "Not So Dreamy" article.

On balance, my plan moving forward is to hold my shares and buy in after a few days, in anticipation of a further drop in share price. On the question of financing that another member posted -- they are in no danger of being unable to finance further films! Their cash balance is $445MM as of 3/31/05, and the estimate is $110-$130 to produce a film (before SG&A expenses).

Chris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Burger King's Play Not For Taxes?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement