Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: forumcap Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 45  
Subject: Re: Oil Change Date: 12/17/2001 9:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I admire your desire to do this yourself.

BUT. Having been there and done that, here are my thoughts -- are you prepared to do all other routine maintenance chores as well? I stopped doing my own oil changes when I realized it meant I was not getting other things checked over, lubed, etc. - the things that a reliable place will do as part of the oil chanage. And things that took a little more knowledge than an oil change. Maybe cars are not "lubed" any more. They were still being "lubed" regularly when I was changing my own oil and I had no clue where I would start.

Furthermore, it really was a hassle. No matter what differnt kind of oil filter wrench I bought, none ever made it easy. Then there is the hassle of making sure the filter is on tight enough to not leak but not so tight as to cause damage.

Then there is the mess. You have to find somewhere to get rid of the oil.

All this will take you much longer than finding a good shop that can get to know your car and do all this and more.

There is the time spent, the mess, the investment in tools, the research or worrying about what else needs to be done.

After a few years, I felt I was doing myself -- or certainly my pickup -- a disservice. All in all, we (my vehicle and I) are much better off having a good shop take care of all of "most" of my automotive maintenance.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement