UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: terrynor One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 736840  
Subject: Re: Poll: Spending Habits 1 - Cars New/Used Date: 6/22/2000 3:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I advocate buying "older cars" (5+ years) with moderate to high mileage. My current vehicle is a 1990 Acura Integra with 166,000 miles. I paid $3000 for it last year at 147,000 miles with new tires and paint. I expect to run the vehicle to over 250,000.

I good case can be made for the under $1,500 car being the most economical. Both of my cars in high school and college (15 years ago) cost under $700. I drove both well over 200,000 miles with little trouble.

With any car I do a good mechanical inspection including a compression check on the engine. I also do all of the maintainance and most of the repair. (I only take cars to a mechanic for tire replacement or muffler work.)

I also start looking for my next car about 6 months before I need it. I put the word out among friends. My Acura came to me through my brother when a third child was added to the family.

cheers,
terrynor
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement