No. of Recommendations: 6
I agree about the near future, however, with a 19 and 16 year old, I am looking at the distant future. To me the worry is the grasshoppers broadly looking at the ant's food stores while salivating. They may not yet be ready for a coup, but it is on the horizon, and I would say well within our kids' horizon.

And yet, I can not bring myself to tell our kids to be grasshoppers.

Think that one through for a minute. Whether you realize it or not, you are taking the grasshopper viewpoint on this issue. The Social Security trust funds are expected to become insolvent right in the middle of your kids' peak earning years. When that occurs, the certain result will be tax hikes and benefit cuts. If nothing is done until then, it will not be a pleasant time.

The Ant might say let's start making small changes now, and by closing loopholes we can avoid much bigger, more painful sacrifices later on and that will especially benefit people who are teenagers right now.

The Grasshopper might say "I want my loopholes! And if the system collapses later, tough! I want mine right now!"
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement