No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree. If you can now do a 1035 exchange without penalty and the investment has not been performing to your satisfaction, look at these options:
1. Different choices within the same company. An equity investment will perform best over the long run. If one is going to pay the higher fees and "mortality charge" of an annuity, you want to invest quite aggressively to make the company work for you. A guaranteed 8% or whatever rate doesn't sound like a variable annuity at all; and unless you plan to start drawing money in the next five years, you should still be in the stock market, meaning variable annuity and a fairly aggressive choice.
2. Different company. Look at Vanguard and Fidelity, both of which have annuities with lower fees than most and no surrender charge. You can do a 1035 exchange by contacting those companies, selecting one, telling the company of your choice what you want to do and they will handle the paper work for you after you provide the account number and perhaps a copy of the most recent statement.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.