UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Re: Reverse Mortgage Questions Date: 11/27/2005 8:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I agree that nothing is ever certain when it comes to stocks, all that can be said is what's worked in the past. And a 4% withdrawl rate has always been safe. Add on some SS and perhaps a small pension and it's a pretty good bet.

Folks are always trying to make financial planning more difficult than it needs to be, and that's usually because the same folks are trying to pick your pocket by making you think you can't live without their sage advice. Annuities function off a much lower withdrawal rate, but that's because the insurance company is taking the rest and far more for themselves, not to mention the residual from your initial investment that's left when the payments stop. All you need to do is have a reasonably well diversified portfolio (personally, I think 90% equities and 10% fixed is about right in terms of asset allocation) and let it work for itself, and you'll have an overwhelming probability of being able to withdraw 3% to 4% almost forever, with a high percentage of having a ton left for your heirs. If the market goes down, you can still withdraw the same amount you were withdrawing before the market went down. Of course, if you retire at a very young age, like 50 or less, then you might want to keep you withdrawal rate closer to 3% in the early years if you would like to stay on the conservative side. Yes, this only works if the future is no worse than the past. Personally, I don't think we'll ever see another period as bad as the Great Depression. If the entire economy were to implode, then it really wouldn't matter what you had done, since everything would be gone, so I personally don't plan my future based on keeping gold in shoe boxes under the bed.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement