UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: benhancockjr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35363  
Subject: Re: I-Bonds before Nov 1 Date: 10/15/2003 10:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I agree that the guaranteed rate of return will be considerably less than 5%. However, I still think I-Bonds are a great place to park money for the next year - especially for bonds bought before the end of October.

I would take issue with what you state as "short term game playing" that "goes counter to their stated purpose". I think it's a bit naive to be so dogmatic about how one invests in i-bonds. you can certainly argue the merits about whether it's a good investment or not, but please don't talk about some stated purpose. If you read the info on publicdebt.treas.gov, it simly provides information on how i-bonds work and what the restrictions are (i.e. must hold for a year and the interest penalty if cashed before 5 years) - nothing about some intended purpose.

For those who need a low-risk place to park money for a year, i-bonds are excellent. If the U.S treasury wants to change the rules, fine, but in the meantime, individual investors should make decisions based on their individual investment objectives.

Personally, I'm parking my money in i-bonds in the short term to save money for when my wife and start a family, and she leaves work for a while. Do feel the least bit guilty that I'm not planning to hold i-bonds longer than a year or two? Not one bit!

Ben
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement