No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree that the IRS is not going to track down a minor being paid and try to collect, unless some benefit is attempted.

If you want to setup an IRA, you would have to report the self-employment income, which if the amount is over $400 would make you suseptable to the Self-Employment taxe (15.3%). Unless there is an exception for young children (so you don't have to pay the SE tax), this would be a horrid deal for you. First, you are losing 15.3% of your principal. Second, you will not derrive any benefit from paying Social Security or Medicare, since they only counts years/earnings after you are 22 or 23.

It seems to me that the better investment would be to set up a taxable custodial account, which most major financial houses will do (Vanguard, T.Rowe Price, etc.).

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.