Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ehsr One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 53  
Subject: Re: 24yo asks: is TALBOTS a good long-term inv.? Date: 5/25/2001 5:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I agree they have good sales and customer loyalty, so why is their stock off more than $12 in just a couple days?

Tuesday Morgan Stanley downgraded them from Outperform to Neutral which coincided with the biggest part of the drop.

Thursday Buckingham Research upgraded them from Accumulate to Strong Buy.

I guess more people listen to Morgan Stanley than Buckingham Research. I listen to my own opinion on this one and let the sheep wander where they will.

I strolled into the Talbots near work the other week to see what they had this season. If I weren't pregnant, I'd have spent a lot of money - I fell in love with several items. I wish I wish there was a Talbots Maternity!

The day I walk in to the store and don't want at least half the clothes in the shop is the day I sell this stock. They've been making very good money with clothes that fit my tastes and I'll worry when they wander afield. There are plenty of women who like the types of clothes I like and very very few stores selling them, and with the quality of materials and construction that Talbots invariably carries. I know, I've looked. I'll pay Talbots prices for their quality of fabric and construction, I will *not* pay them for shoddily made goods just because some dippy designer put a label on it.

Weaving and sewing are among my hobbies, so my tolerance for cheap fabric and poor technique is extremely low :) Talbots clothes have strong smooth seams, perfect edges, linings that never show, and details like lingerie guards to keep your bra straps from showing on sleeveless dresses. Extra buttons are standard, and knits tend to come with a length of yarn for repairs.

The stores are also pleasant to shop in - even in the Christmas rush, there is enough sales help, they know their stock and are never rude.

Have I babbled enough? I have no association with Talbots except as satisfied customer, and now shareholder.

-Liz
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement