No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree with Mark.
If you do a custodian-to-custodian transfer there isn't any 10% penalty or taxes on capital gains. First you set up the IRA with Vanguard. They will send you paperwork to do the transfer. Your existing custodian may charge you an exit fee of $50 or so. Then you liquidate whatever of the existing investments you wish (or do this before the transfer, depending on whose commissions are lower). Then buy the Vanguard Index fund with the proceeds.
An IRA is a box. As long as you leave money in it there are no taxes on dividends, capital gains or anything else. At 70 1/2 you must start taking money out, and pay taxes on it.
Once at Vanguard, you can convert the same account to a Roth if you wish. If you are converting all at once, it would be just a change in account number and you pay the taxes on amount of gains converted. Or you can convert just part and leave the rest in a traditional IRA.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.