No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree with the other posters that you can do better elsewhere. Here are a few questions to ask the salesman (if he won't answer them you should be able to find the answers in the prospectus; if he didn't give you a prospectus he is truly not being up-front with you):
- What are the TOTAL expenses associated with this investment? (Anything over about .4 % and you can do a lot better; with Vanguard - although you may not have enough yet for them - you can go as low as .18%.)
- What is the M&E (mortality and expense)fee? (This fee is unique to annuities and ANY non-annuity IRA will not have it. The only thing that paying this fee will do is give your heir the higher of a. your total deposits into the annuity or b. the investment value of the annuity if you should die. This is very low risk for the insurance company but very expensive for you.)
- If I decide to transfer my money to another IRA in the future, is there any cost for doing so? (Many annuities have exit fees if you withdraw your money - even for deposit in another qualified account. For example, with many annuities, if you move the money to another annuity or to an IRA in the first year, they will keep 5% of your money; 4% in the second year; 3% in the third year. With some companies, the clock restarts every time you add money to the account, so you are always 5 years away from reaching the point where there is no fee. Some annuities even use 7 years/7%.)

I think the answers you get to these questions will tell you a lot about annuities and the person you are dealing with.

jtmitch
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement