Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: boxout Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: 457 deferred Govt compensation Date: 1/15/2002 6:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I also have 457 plan, and I have just retired. My current plan is to move the whole thing to an IRA within the next couple of months (no more requirement to make a distribution decision within 60 days, right?). I will be 59 and 1/2 by the end of this year and shouldn't need any of this money this year due to extra, one time income. Next year I plan to start IRA distributions. Over a period of time I plan to transfer the IRA funds into a Roth, paying applicable taxes as I go in small chunks from the annual distributions.

I would be interested in comments on this scheme. It seems reasonable to me, but would not want to get to cute and paint myself into some kind of corner.

P.S. I'm planning on using Vanguard for the IRA. Is there any risk involved with having all my eggs with one fund vendor (e.g if the fund vendor has financial problems)?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement