UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4312  
Subject: Re: What is Insurance? Date: 11/15/2009 9:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
I also know there are plenty of problems in those systems and that more people come from those systems to here to get specialized and speedy care, than go from ours to theirs.

How do you know that. Based on the experience of people I know, I suspect this is not true. I know several people with dual citizenship who have chosen to go back to their other home country for medical needs and also know of at least one who traveled to India (his first time out of this country) because the operation he needed was that much less expensive and the facility was excellent. But if it were true, we still would need to know more about the people and the reasons before we could conclude anything. If you are among the wealthy elite, the US probably offers some of the best high-end procedures you can find (if you can afford to pay for them). Those with plenty of money can probably buy their way into the best medical facilities in the US fairly easily. But their experience has nothing to do with the health care system that most Americans live with. We don't have a single health care system in the US. We have at least three or four.
1- We have the system that most young, healthy, employed people have with their purchased insurance plans.
2- We have the extremely costly system that applies to those too poor or with pre-existing conditions who do not have health insurance and must pay 40% to 60% more for every procedure.
3- We have the Medicare/Medicaid/VA/Congressional systems.
4- We have the elite medical research facilities that offer expensive and difficult procedures that most insurance companies do not yet cover.

Who is actually coming to the US for health care and which of these systems are they participating in?

I do believe there are a number of non-government-control things we can do to make our system much better without going all the way to a single payer system.

Of course none of the existing bills propose such a system.

I agree that is a problem, I would prefer that all health care (insurance) is treated equally under the tax law (either pre or after tax for all) and that plans be portable with no kicking people out when they get real sick. This can be done easily without a single payer plan or excessive gov regulation.

First, no one is proposing a single payer plan. But I think you dramatically underestimate the impact of this kind of regulation. Insurance companies are not engaging in their current practices frivolously. There is a reason they use pre-existing conditions and recision. They want to maintain a certain profit margin. They don't want to insure people who actually need to collect benefits. Doing so will impact their profit margins and that will impact their stock prices.

It is also a fact that 85% of Americans have health care and most of those are probably happy enough to not want huge, unknown change.

It will be a very sad statement about Americans if we as a nation decide to leave 15% of our population without access to reasonable health care because we fear change. Really sad.

This country has created more wealth and higher standards of living for more people than any nation in history, that goes a long way towards equalizing things.

Let's not confuse wealth with health. I don't think it says anything good about Americans if they justify leaving 15% locked out of health care because a bunch of us got really wealthy.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement