UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wclark1238 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37563  
Subject: I also need your advice Date: 10/7/2012 4:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As a result of reading the previous 'advice needed' thread I've discovered that I might be eligible for a service award that didn't even exist when I left the Air Force.

Can anyone advise the process to check on whether I am indeed eligible for this award? I left with an honourable discharge in April 1994 but had deployed to Aviano AB in Italy in support of Operation Provide Promise for which no 'award' was available at that time (although my AF Commendation Medal citation does highlight my work supporting the operation).

It looks to me as though the Armed Forces Service Medal would be applicable for my service during that deployment. Can anyone confirm my thinking based on the information I've shared here and, presuming that I am elegible to receive this award, provide advice as to how I could go about getting my records amended?

To slightly complicate things I'm living outside of the CONUS - in the UK, so I can't 'just' head to the nearest DOD establishment to resolve this.

Many thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37327 of 37563
Subject: Re: I also need your advice Date: 10/8/2012 9:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Service_Medal

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37328 of 37563
Subject: Re: I also need your advice Date: 10/8/2012 9:48 AM
Woops, I meant to type a response with the link. It appears that you your deployment does qualify if you meant the specifications listed. If you do, you should funnel your request for recognition up the food chain or to your nearest PAC (personal admin center).

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37329 of 37563
Subject: Re: I also need your advice Date: 10/8/2012 11:07 AM
Recommendations: 1
You should be able to call or visit any local, UK American airbase, personnel office and get the paperwork in motion.

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37330 of 37563
Subject: Re: I also need your advice Date: 10/9/2012 10:34 AM
Recommendations: 2
http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI36-2603...
http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFPAM36-26...
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/forminfo/fo...

Looks like you can mail everything in. Above is the link to the AFI for corrections. It references an AF Pamphlet 36-2607 (which, if you can open the first link, you can also get to it, the second link), and the form DD149 (which the AFI implies you CAN'T get to, but the link is above anyway.)

If you can't get any or all of these, send me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

If you want personalized help, you can try one of the US bases in the UK as suggested earlier, but I really think it's unnecessary. This seems pretty open and shut assuming you have proof of your deployment.

v/r
Tom

Author: wclark1238 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37331 of 37563
Subject: Re: I also need your advice Date: 10/11/2012 1:15 PM
That is fantastically helpful Tom. All links work perfectly for me too. I'll now need to have a dig through my records to try to find something to confirm my participation in the deployment.......at the very least I have the citation accompanying my AF Commendation Medal that calls up my support of the operation but I may be able to find more.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement