UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65  
Subject: Re: Picking a Mover? Date: 4/21/2009 9:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

I also noticed that the poster said they already packed their own boxes, which is very problematic for a moving company since if the pack was bad, then they are on the hook for damages. This makes for an awkard situation.

I've been reading over the paperwork the movers left for me, and they make it clear that they're not responsible for breakage of any item that the customers packed themselves. Only for items that were packed and unpacked by the mover. (I've never had a mover that unpacked for me - even when I had a full service corporate move, unpacking wasn't included. But when they packed for me, they covered any items that broke.)

It's a trade-off. Packing is very expensive. The cost to pack my apartment was 3-4 times the cost of the cost of moving alone. I couldn't afford it, since I'm paying out of pocket for my move, and honestly, I don't think my stuff is worth enough to make paying that much worthwhile. It's rather useless to pay movers $20 to pack up dishes that I bought at Target for $20 per set. But after watching movers pack my items several times, I think I can pack things so they won't break.

My dilemma at the moment is whether to pay extra for full value protection. It's not terribly expensive, but breakage is excluded, and they also exclude any furniture you "put together yourself". That's probably 90% of my furniture. They also don't pay for electronics that stop working, even if they pack those items. So I'm not sure what I'm paying for - almost the only situation where they'd pay is if they actually lost something. Almost everything else seems to be excluded.

Karen
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

China's Stock Market: Like the Lottery?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement