No. of Recommendations: 0

I also use ETSPX in my E*Trade IRA account. However, be aware that in the long run the Vanguard fund (VFINX) will be cheaper because the expense ratio is about 0.18% while ETSPX is about 0.32% and they have a 1.0% early redemption fee if you sell your shares before holding them four months.

You also should realize that you can have more than one IRA. I would recommend starting your first IRA at Vanguard and build a base for your requirement savings with VFINX. Later, when you have that base established, buy a few stocks through the Vanguard Brokerage. They will cost a little more than other discount brokers, but you probably won't want to be doing a lot of trading at first, so the costs shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, if you like trading stocks, open a second IRA at a really low cost discount broker and do your trading there. But always keep adding to your VFINX base.

Russ

Let me ask you something, Russ. If you have multiple IRAs and you want to keep adding to your Vanguard IRA as well as start trading elsewhere, do you just contribute $1K to Vanguard and $1K to the other at the discount brokerage? I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

--Kaylin
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement