UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: You need 135% of your salary in retirement? Date: 9/14/2011 9:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I always assumed I'd need more in retirement because I wanted to travel, get away in the winter, etc. Also, I lived 5 minutes from my office, dressed business casual most of the time, and went home for lunch, so my expenses weren't going to drop just because I quit working.

You will not that the article said you would need 135% of your salary, not your expenses in retirement. Your expenses may have gone up but I hope it was less than your final salary.

I'm saving around 30% of my income. Once the kids are out of school, the mortgage paid off and the horse gone, I could be saving 50% of my income. Therefore, I would be living on less than 50% of my income. Unless I want to blow a lot of money, I don't how I would be anywhere near needing 135% of my income in retirement.

PSU
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement