UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: InLivingColor Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1498  
Subject: Re: Lower dining-out costs Date: 11/3/2003 12:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I always think it's a rationalization for those who don't want to cook (and yea, I'm in that group), but maybe I'm wrong.

Dunno about the OP. For me it was more cost-effective to eat out for reasons such as:
1. I am clumsy in almost every area away from a keyboard
2. Recipes always seem to call for a dash of some spice I might never use again, and as an ignoramus in the kitchen I was always afraid that would be the ONE ingredient which "makes the meal" ... so I always felt like I should have a full array of stuff I've never heard of and never know if I'm going to use again
3. Clean up!
4. Investment in cooking utensils, appliances, and all that other stuff
5. Time spent learning how to cook
6. Hassles involved in moving all the kitchen equipment every time I moved
If you want to call that rationalizations for not wanting to cook, I would not take offense. But I would also note that one year (in another decade, when food prices were lower than they are now) I went from spending about $100/month feeding myself by eating out all the time, and the next year my housemate was spending $300/month to cook for both of us.

These days I eat almost all my meals at home. Am also nowhere near the carnivore I used to be, so even with higher food prices I'm spending less now than I was then. Over the years, most restaurant food tastes more and more like plastic (or cardboard) to me. But yeah, for a number of years, every time I sat down to figure what it would take for me to cook for myself, it came out to way more $$$ than I was spending at the time.
ILC
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement