Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am 43 with tax free income of about 60K a year due to disability. I am in graduate school in order to go back to work in a non physical job. I will be making about 100K a year with my new job (in about a year and a half from now). When I retire at normal retirement age, I will again have the tax free income. Does it make any sense for me to convert my IRA with 90K in it to a Roth? I am currently living on the tax free free income and have loans for school.

I would certainly convert enough to create a tax liability equal to the education credit you qualify for. That's found money in retirement. (For 2010, make sure you elect to have the entire amount included in 2010 income when you file your 2010 return.)

if OP's really fully on tax-free income, wouldn't it make sense to convert up to 0% bracket?

(plus more for any tax credit)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.