Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am a curent resident of Texas, I move from Kansas in the middle of the year. A minimal amount of my AGI (about 5%) came from some small business from Missouri. Should I pay Missouri Taxes out of my total AGI or just out of the minimal proportion than I earn from MO?

I'm assuming your MO income was earned while you were a KS resident. (If not, ignore the rest of this response.)

You'll file a nonresident return with MO. Follow the return's instructions for allocating income and computing tax due.

After you've done the MO return, do your Kansas return. Kansas doesn't have a part-year return; you'll file as either a resident or nonresident (your choice). See the instructions for calculating the credit KS will give you for the tax paid to MO on that income.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.