Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a help dek analyst and looking to start taking classes toward technical certifications(MCSE, CNE, etc.). Am I better off writing the tuition expenses off on taxes or taking a tuition reimbursement from my employer? Do tuition reimbursments get taxed?

These are job related and would be tax deductible on your tax return, but they would be subject to the 2% of AGI limitation so you don't get the full deduction. Also, you'd be paying for it. having your employer pay for it doesn't cost you anything and he gets the full deduction.
See IRS Publication 17. It has a lot of information on filing personal returns.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.