Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: hachmujt Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Re: Lost Decade Recap Date: 6/1/2011 1:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I am a little late to the request but I will join in.

My lost decade recap:

In 2000 I quit my Job on an ambulance. Put everything in storage and set up jobs crewing on sail boats. I sailed from Oregon to Alaska and was getting ready for my next job when 911 happened. I did not think it would be a great idea to be sailing in international waters from Thailand to Italy. I was single, in my late 20's, no debt and had $15k of net-worth in a 401k.

Today I am in my late 30's. I have a career, a wife, a home and an investment property. Our net-worth is over $550k and growing. This is a conservative number because we do not put a dollar value on pensions for this exercise. We save 37% of our income.

I conservatively estimate a 4% growth rate for investments and a 3% rate of inflation. With such a short amount of time anything could happen with returns. Based on how much we live on we are projected to FIRE at the end of 2019. Part of our time will likely be spent on a sail boat!

Summary: There was no lost decade for me and my wife. It seems like it was a great time to build a FIRE.

Thanks for the thread,

Jason
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement