Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 167178  
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 10:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 159
I am a proud American. I believe in God. I am not a Religious Right fanatic, but in my experience the vast majority of Christians are not fanatic religious zealots.
You however interrupted my enjoyment of this board so I am compelled to respond. I see nothing in this paragraph that is even slightly offensive. The writer urges thanks for the individuals that fought and died for our freedom. The author then urges prayer and thanksgiving to God. I would obviously agree with your fear and anger if the author had threatened jihad or other violence to require compliance, but instead the author simply gave an opinion.
Lighten up tenworlds, your agenda is showing.
Have you forgotten?
JYRebel

-----

Excuse me? EXCUSE ME?

Of course you see nothing offensive. You believe in God. I don't have a problem with that. The problem I have is when 'God' is added to every blasted thing that is good about America. It has nothing to do with my political leanings either. (BTW, you don't see the religious left wrapping everything in the flag and claiming 'God did it', do you?)

I felt the same way as poster 'am4u' when s/he said,
"Hard to read a post when the tears are making it hard to see."
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23886606
and it wasn't your God that brought those tears. It was "the most powerful prose" as 'freethinkerkeywe' mentioned http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23887059

Don't preach to me about agendas. No, I haven't forgotten, and don't expect to anytime soon. Especially since it is belief in God that usually gets us into these messes in the first place.

"I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back. DID NOT come back."

So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps.

That is what the story is about. The unnecessary deaths of those six boys, those 7000 boys and all the rest. You'd think Ira Hayes would've attracted your God's attention for his actions and been spared the rejection of a white christian society who used him then tossed him aside because he was 'just a Pima Indian'. Crap, if this God was all his followers claim he is, World War II would never have happened.

I'm a proud American too. Hell, I even fly the stars & strips every day (I put up my own flagpole). I don't however, believe in God. Those things don't make me any more or less an American than you.
I give thanks to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice so I can live free. Our troops today have my utmost respect and support. Their skills and training will see them through to do their sworn duty.
God, Allah, Zeus, the Wizard of Oz, ... none of them will have anything to do with it.

So don't, don't dare lecture me on fear or anger, or being a proud American. My post didn't have anything to do with an agenda, or politics, or God. It has everything to do with loving my country and the secular system of government "of the people, for the people, and by the people" that made America what it is today, and an acute awareness of the religious nutjobs who've hijacked my country.

Rich
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement