Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am afraid you are going to have to put a little more effort into your withholding than just claiming married, 1. That may seem like a logical withholding to you but, do you think it can cover all the different situations out there? Married, but only one spouse working; married, both spouses work, but earn very unequal amounts; married, both work and earn equal amounts; and that doesn't even get into whether you itemize deductions, etc.

The previous advice is good, but even using the W-4 worksheet, check it against what income tax you owe this year. If your situation doesn't change significantly between this year and next, your taxes shouldn't change significantly either. In other words, you should be withholding (between you and your spouse) $4000/12 = $333 more a month than you are now. If the W-4 worksheet doesn't give a similar amount, keep researching!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.