Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am also a Canadian living in the US and have filed the paperwork needed to exempt my RRSPs from US Federal tax liability. But my 'keen' tax preparer recently found out that there is no such tax treaty between the individual states and Canada. Therefore, depending on the State you live in, you could have state tax liability on your RRSPs. And so I now pay California state taxes on my RRSP interest, capital gains (whether realized or not) and dividends (even automatically reinvested dividends).

I sure as ____ won't retire in CA. Though instead of getting back the 30% premium it cost me (in Cdn-US exchange) to move here 15 years ago, it may cost me that again to move back to Canada, the way the US gov't is trashing the US$ (not to mention loss in my house value here).
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.