Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: THNeufness Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86527  
Subject: I am an evil wicked Mother Date: 5/16/2002 10:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 37
Today is Melissa's birthday. Her 10th birthday, double digits as she has been reminding me allllllllllllllll month long.

I have been telling her that we can't afford a big party, we can't afford a big present and not to get her hopes up for too much because since we bought the house we are reallllllllly tight on money.

I told her that for her party she could invite 4 friends from school, I would invite Megan, Mandy, Shelly and Lettie from work and we could have a slumber party. She was fine with that, the party is scheduled for tomorrow night.

This morning, while braiding her hair she very quietly and hesitantly says, "Mom? Did you know that when you have your birthday on a school day you can bring cookies or cupcakes and juice to class and the teacher will let you share it with the class?"

"Yes, Melissa, I know that, we did it last year for both you and Ellie, remember?"

"YEAH! I do and I was wondering............... well............"

"Hunny, I'm sorry, I really am, but we just can't afford the extra this year, I wish we could but money is just too tight right now."

"Well, we have that box of cookies on the table........"

"Melissa, you are not taking a box of Chocolate Wafers to school for your birthday, I'm sorry but the answer is no."

"That's okay, I understand."

We go to school, my daughter is trying to be brave, I go in so I can talk to Ellie's teacher about something, give Melissa a big kiss and hug, wish her a happy day and she goes upstairs.

I talk to Ellie's teacher, then go upstairs to talk to the music teacher to find out when she will make the decision about the soloist part for the concert because if Melissa gets the part, obviously I have to change the date for the c-section so I can be there with her. She was supposed to make her mind up today, we still haven't heard.

I head to work. I talk to Patty several times today, reminding her to be on time, don't be late, I have that engagement, I CANNOT under any circumstance miss. She promises.

Beth calls off sick, leaving me alone. I call begging Sonya to come help, she does, Bless her heart.

I talk to Patty more, reminding her, DO NOT BE LATE!

Gary shows up at 12:45 PM, Sonya leaves at 12:55 PM, Patty shows up at 1:00 PM and I leave on my secret mission.

Now you all know about the Master-card Priceless commercials? Let me put it this way:

25 each 3" chocolate chip cookies that spell out in frosting, "Happy 10th Birthday Melissa!" $27.00

1 balloon bouquet with Scooby Doo and PowerPuff Girls: $10.70

4 Boxes of Juice to share with the class $7.00

Look on Melissa's face when me, her dad and Ellie walked into her classroom with said objects singing Happy Birthday: Beyond Priceless.

She didn't know if she should laugh, cry or die from embarrassment but like I told Patty when I got back to work, I would give up a years salary to see that smile all the time when she hugged me.

Deannda
Yeah, I'm evil, shoot me ;)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement