No. of Recommendations: 0
I am aware that I can do an in kind transfer from a conventional IRA to a Roth (with tax consequences, naturally). Of course, the fly in the ointment is that I would have to have a pre-existing Roth.

Fidelity will create a Roth IRA for you as part of the convert (rollover) process.

One thing to be aware of... you cannot convert (rollover) your RMD to a Roth IRA. So deal with the RMD first, then rollover afterward. If you don't... the RMD will be treated as an excess contribution and you’ll pay a 6% annual penalty while the RMD remains in the Roth. [NOTE: You have until October 15 of the year after the excess contribution to correct it.]
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.