Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dcanfiel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15265  
Subject: I am back Date: 5/2/2008 4:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 62
Hello, friend Fools! I am back. I was discharged from the hospital today, 5 days after my accident. Followers here know I can be long-worded, so I won't post all my thoughts in a single post. Thanks mightily to all the thoughts, prayers, and posts to my wife in the past 5 days. My wife and I appreciated them mightily.

First and foremost: I am alive only because I chose to wear a helmet. I do not think this. I know this. Above the helmet line on my head, I have a concussion, and a very slight pain on the left side of my head. Below the helmet line, I have broken face bones, 6 (out of 24) broken ribs, a bruised left eye, and too many deep scrapes all over my body to count. I am out of work for probably 30 days. The road surface took my helmet and smashed it in like an over-weight football fan stepping on a beer can. It could have done the same to my unprotected skull. But it did not. I have no skull fractures or serious brain damage. All, because I willingly chose to wear a $50 piece of foam on my head.

Think what you want. Do what you want. I do not care. I know I am alive today because I willingly chose to wear a helmet.

For those who think, incorrectly, that you can not knowingly talk on a subject before you have experienced it: I am the premiere expert. Anyone who does not wear a helmet is an idiot, and I have the right, and experience, to say it.

I do not mean to malign idiots. I still fully support your freedom to be one, and I still think helmet laws are an abomination. I will still be your friend. I will still have dinner with you. But be clear: you are, an idiot. You are taking an unnecessary risk with your life. You are safer with a helmet than without one, no matter how much closer you may think that car comes to your head.

I rode 16 years with a helmet without ever needing it. That's 5840 days. I rode the course I crashed on 1000 times before. There was nothing different on the day I crashed than any other day, except, I needed the helmet. It would be easy to think, after 5839 days, that the helmet was never going to be needed and that there was perhaps a higher chance of having an accident with it than without it. But I was an idiot, and wore it anyway. My wife still has a husband. My son still has a father. The helmet's not made for the 5839 days. It's made for the 1 day. And the 1 day, was Sunday, April 27, 2008. That's a day I can't remember. But it's my 1 day. And if it hadn't been for the $50 piece of foam I had on my head, it'd be the day that got inscribed in stone next to my name for remembrance at some burial plot.

I still have a lot of healing to do, both physically and mentally. And I'll be posting more, for those who care to read about it. Now, for the $50,000 answer: I don't know how or why I crashed, and have no recollection of the events leading up to it or after it until late Sunday afternoon. I was found by a pedestrian at the side of the road who called police who subsequently called my wife about 45 minutes after I had left.

dcanfiel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement