Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: mathetes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Re: Tax Forms Date: 1/13/1999 12:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am currently a college freshman who has begun trading online. Since this is the first time I have traded I am quite confused about how investment taxes apply to me.

Hi, Boomshaka

Even though you're a college freshman, you must have filed IRS tax returns before, just to account for summer or part-time jobs and be able to get a refund. Accounting for your profits or losses from trading isn't a lot more complicated. It goes on Schedule D of the 1040 Form. You can get a copy of the form and some instructions for it from the IRS site below.

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/forms.html

The main thing you should be doing is keeping records of the purchases and sales, dates, prices, numbers of shares, etc. Your on-line broker probably has a summary statement that you can get directly on-line (I know mine does), so that's not a big deal either. The broker will report to the government your bottom line earnings/losses, in much the same way that an employer reports summary figures. Your numbers will be expected to agree with theirs (of which you'll also be sent a copy).

The first time I bought a house the prospect was pretty daunting. Then I told myself that a lot of other people in this world seem to have survived; it couldn't be all that difficult. You'll find that filling out tax forms for these transactions is mostly tedious, not complex.

mathetes
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement