Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am currently a student and my only reportable income so far for the year is $2600.00 short term capital gain. I am wondering how much the maximum I can put in my Roth Ira for the year legally.

Nothing. To contribute to an IRA, you must have "earned income." In the eyes of the IRS, earned income is reported on a Form W-2 (salaries and wages), Schedule C (business income), or Schedule F (farm income). You don't have earned income, so you can't contribute to an IRA.

I hasten to point out, however, that there are three months left in the calendar year. If you were to work 10 hours per week, you would have the earned income to contribute to an IRA.

David Jacobs
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.