Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: fndr489 Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 52  
Subject: Re: Who is paying a mortgage? Date: 9/26/2006 10:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am currently living with my sister and a friend at a duplex paying rent. I'd rather put the money towards a mortgage payment and build equity, but I am fresh out of school with some credit card debt that needs to be taken care of first. But I would definitely like to own my own house. I figure five years max before I get into one.

As for my investments, I have an old mutual fund that was started for me back in elementary school when all I cared about was recess time. I then got into another mutual fund my freshman year in high school. Alliance Premier Growth Fund A (now it's AllianceBernstein I believe). My grandfather's broker told him it was a good fund, and with an initial deposit of $250 I thought I shouldn't miss this opportunity. I think it might have broken even now... My junior year in high school, I managed to save enough money to start a Roth IRA with the Vanguard 500 Index. Let me tell you guys something...saving the $2k deposit earning minimum wage at a movie theater really sucked. I also trade individual stocks through Scottrade. I have DIS, MVL, NILE, SCSS, PRAA, and TASR (TASR being the pure speculation play. Guess I really like zapping the bad guys in Syphon Filter...) It's up about 15% so we'll see where it goes from here. I just bought some more SCSS today but would like to add to my PRAA position as I first purchased the shares before they dropped to the price range they are in.

I like to read most anything I can get my hands on and I am really intrigued with the idea that water might be the 'oil' of the future, what with growing populations and limited fresh water supplies...pure demand/supply economics at work. I also enjoyed Joel Greenblatt's little book about beating the market and what he proposes sounds really interesting. I might give it a try. I am also contemplating investing in currencies. I took an international finance class in college and did a practice account with an online broker. Made some good money at it too...

I agree with the statement that we can be a little more risky with our investments. We are at the age where we can take on more risk, bounce back and learn from any mistakes made.

Anyway, I ramble enough. It's bedtime.

Take care, fndr489
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement