UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: milleniumfalcon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308230  
Subject: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 2:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I am freaking out.

I am so tired of this *&%&^^$O**&%!!

All I wanna do is get outta debt and save some cash and have a nice *&^^$%^*&%^&%&^ LIFE!!

I am literally exhausted from the stress and the pressure of having to deal with always having more month than money!!!. Today is the 22. Its is still more than a week til payday...and I have 20 bucks!!

I'll get paid on the 31st be broke by the 15th and then paid again on Feb 28th and I CAN'T DEAL with this stress!!! How can ya budget like this? I can't seem to do it, not when 1/2 way through the month ya have to use your credit card (which you paid 300 to rather than the minimum 110 bucks) to pay the gas bill that has trebled!!!!

Im sick of this, sick of it.

I doon't think I am ever gonna see my net worth statement in the Black!!

I'm so fed up, I'm ready to just charge and charge and charge.

I have a grip, but someones WD-40'ing my fingers!!!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

MILLNIUMFALCON
LOOKING FOR VALIUM OR A QUAALUDE OR SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: elastofool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54978 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 7:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Search your feelings MilliniumFalcon.

Hate, Fear....these are things that will lead you to the dark side.

OB1

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54981 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 9:34 AM
Recommendations: 11
I have a grip, but someones WD-40'ing my fingers!!!

First, deep breaths.

Now, $20 til payday. Okay, do you have food in the house? If not, you'll need to buy some: Rice will make your money last the longest. Next, peanut butter. Get the idea? It'll be a bland week, but you'll be fed. Drink water to make the $$ last longer.

Don't focus on the present, focus on the future. Your budget for this month is shot, okay fine. NOW, what about the months ahead? Try to sit down and look at all your bills. Get out a piece of paper, and write them all down. Are you spending more than you make? Remember to include spending money and other incidentals that can be forgotten.

If you are spending more than you make, either reduce your expenses, raise your income, or both. Start looking at the little things: are you buying name brand chips at the store? Switch to the cheaper ones -- their not as good, but it'll get your head above water for a few months. Do you have cable? Shut it off. Caller I.D., Call Waiting, etc.? Keep only the basic phone line until you can get a little breathing room.

I worked two jobs all through college (and almost a year after -- my last day there will end of next month). Try looking for a weekend job, or something you can do a couple nights a week. If you are really strapped for cash, get a job at a fast food joint -- they usually offer one free meal a shift, so you can save a few bucks while you are at work.

Long term: see if the gas company will let you average your bill. It won't help this year, but next winter, your bills won't be as shockingly high.

And please, keep coming back here. Every time you feel the urge to spend money, cruise the boards. Read posts here and in LBYM, join some lively discussions, and in a little while the urge will pass. It's how I avoided that great little black dress Dillard's had on sale (I WANTED that thing like you would not believe...).

impolite

Author: Leviathan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54982 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 9:35 AM
Recommendations: 7
I am literally exhausted from the stress and the pressure of having to deal with always having more month than money!!!. Today is the 22. Its is still more than a week til payday...and I have 20 bucks!!

I'll get paid on the 31st be broke by the 15th and then paid again on Feb 28th and I CAN'T DEAL with this stress!!! How can ya budget like this? I can't seem to do it, not when 1/2 way through the month ya have to use your credit card (which you paid 300 to rather than the minimum 110 bucks) to pay the gas bill that has trebled!!!!

Im sick of this, sick of it.

Okay, three deep breaths. Slowly take them with your eyes closed. January may suck, but why not make it the last sucky month you ever have? Starting in February, it's time to stop living like you have, which I think you can agree isn't working.

My guess is the reason you feel so stressed out is that you feel you have absolutely no control over where your money is going (well, duh Leviathan). OK, starting in February, you're going to start doing a written budget for the month. You know that you have bills x, y, and z that are due in February and you know that you will be getting two checks (let's just pretend that the Jan. 31 check comes on Feb. 1 for now). Pay the necessities first. This means that the rent, electricity, gas, and probably food get budgeted first. If that's all you can do, that's all you can do but at least you're doing it on purpose now, rather than letting the money slide through your fingers.

You may just find that your bills in the first half of the month exceed that first paycheck. In that case, you might want to call several of them up and ask them if they can move your due date to the second half of the month. Some of them won't, but you'll probably find that you can spread some of the bills to that second paycheck and not be out of money so quickly.

Without more details, I can't do much better than these generalizations. However, if you'd like to post on the "Budgeting" board, we might be able to help you get that first budget started and give you back some control over your life.

Leviathan

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54989 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 10:51 AM
Recommendations: 1
LOOKING FOR VALIUM OR A QUAALUDE OR SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here, have a Clonazapam, a big glass of water, and several slow deep breaths. Ooops, shouldn't give you the Clonazapam, it's perscription only! But take the water and the deep breaths.

I know exactly how you feel. It hits me like this every few weeks. I have a girl-friend (as in a friend who's a girl!) that I call that helps calm me down. She knows my financial struggles, and some of my other problems, and helps me see them in a little different light.

Maybe there is another way to approach your debt paydown. How about sending in the minimum payments when you get paid, being frugal with your misc and entertainment money, pay your utilities when you know what they are, then send anything left at the END of the month as your extra debt payments?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Ishtar

Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54998 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 11:25 AM
Oh, dude. Guess what I used to do at this point? I'd go out in the cold with my harp and sit on a street corner and BEG. We called it "passing the hat" or "busking," but really, it was BEGGING. I don't advise it, really (too cold and too humiliating), I'm just letting you know I know how it feels to have that $20 ($10, $5, $0.05) and two weeks until a paycheck was going to seen again.

Hang in there, man. I'll bypass the budgeting advice because I think others have said it better than I could, and just stick with pure encouragement. You're going to be OK, you really are. The foundations you are laying today are going to be solid, and this is definitely not going to be your "forever reality."

Onward!
Tamarian

Author: MerriSedai One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54999 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 11:29 AM
Recommendations: 7
Pick up a copy of the book "How to Get What You Want in Life with the Money You Already Have" by Carol Keefe. Skip to Chapter 3 "Did You Say, Pay the Minimum on my Installment Bills?" and see why your extra $200 per month on your credit card payment is sabotaging your money management plan.

Yes, rapid debt repayment has its place. But NOT until your money management plan is in place and working. And it's not working if you're without food for the last week of the month.

Your first step needs to be simply not accruing more debt. If you're not charging anything and you're making at least interest payments, you've made that first step. Take a breath and get used to that -- THEN move on.

Good luck!!

Author: mlomker Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55002 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 11:45 AM
Recommendations: 0
I can't seem to do it, not when 1/2 way through the month ya have to use your credit card (which you paid 300 to rather than the minimum 110 bucks) to pay the gas bill that has trebled!!!!

The gas bill is a problem for a lot of people this year. I'd strongly encourange you to pay the minimums on your debts until you have $1k in savings.

That'll provide you with a certain sense of security when it comes to unexpected surprises. It'll also allow you to resist the urge to use credit. Instead of actually being penniless you'll find yourself with $20 left in your _budget_ instead of $20 left to your name.

It'll still make you mad, though. I'm down to nothing for my budget and I don't get paid until the 30th. Grrr.

Author: jbales Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55009 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 12:13 PM

I'll get paid on the 31st be broke by the 15th and then paid again on Feb 28th and I CAN'T DEAL with this stress!!! How can ya budget like this? I
can't seem to do it, not when 1/2 way through the month ya have to use your credit card (which you paid 300 to rather than the minimum 110 bucks) to
pay the gas bill that has trebled!!!!

When I was in this situation, I took a long hard look at my finances and decided (reluctantly) that I needed to make more money. And I started working harder. If you can cut expenses and not have to do this, that's great, but if not it might be time to take on a second job, or get more overtime, or something.

If you do this, do it with an end game in mind. You don't want to be working too hard forever. You want to pay off debt and save so that you can go back to a sensible schedule.

Good luck.

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55065 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 4:49 PM
Recommendations: 3
The big problem here is our buddy MF as opposed to our buddy MHF is in school full time if my memory is correct. Now working and attending school is no bargain, but if your house is cold as you have have quoted.. Get something outside the house workwise!

Are you robust and healthy? Can you load trucks, deliver newspapers, drive a van for hotels, limo services, work part time in a hospital kitchen, be a wait person, bartender, bouncer? No, not all at once.

Work somewhere that will feed you and you stay warm! Don't get hooked up with the ones who play on the desperation you must be feeling- pawn shops and those Satan lovers cash advance people.

Can you share the room with anybody? How bout a roomie that you can advertise for free on the message board at school? Then at least you can turn up the heat.

Do you have some time coming up that you are off school and work? Sign up for a clinical trial with a pharmaceutical company -they pay you HUNDREDS of dollars a day to rent your body. That sometimes only takes a few days up to a few weeks.

If you are a "waitron" (I love that word!) you will be warm, fed and get money EVERY night.

wdg :>
finding money since the 1970's.

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55084 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 10:24 PM
Recommendations: 3
I am freaking out.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14151441

Utahtea

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55085 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/22/2001 10:28 PM

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14151441

Utahtea

Thanks for sharing that, Utahtea!!

It reiterates things I believe, but forget when I'm depressed.

Ishtar

Author: kazoogrl Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55089 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/23/2001 12:22 AM
All I wanna do is get outta debt and save some cash and have a nice *&^^$%^*&%^&%&^ LIFE!!

I am literally exhausted from the stress and the pressure of having to deal with always having more month than money!!!.

Hi Millniumfalcon,

Boy can I relate! I am so scared, so exhausted from worrying and from denial and avoidance.

And believe me, the Valium or whatever only take away the reality for a short time... Then it's right back, staring you in the face, waiting to be dealt with.

And ANGRY! At myself more than anything, but at the CC companies for the late fees and lack of compassion for my (and many others') situation.

But the responses I've read to your post all make sense. My guess is you've reviewed all your expenses and cut everything possible. I've done all that, too. For me, the only option I can see is to get a 2nd job. For a single mom with 2 young kids, already working 40+ hours/week, its not a pretty thought... but this stress and worry and irritability and uncertainty is not pretty, either.

It's true, fear is our worst enemy. But being able to close my eyes and take a few deep breaths, and try... really try... to get in touch with that deep-down KNOWING that my kiddos and I will be okay.... somehow, for whatever reason, it helps. And then I'm able to go on and deal with all the little details of my life and take care of my mountain of debt one pebble at a time.

Email me if you want to share/support.

kazoogrl

Author: jhines0042 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55103 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/23/2001 10:45 AM
Maybe there is another way to approach your debt paydown. How about sending in the minimum payments when you get paid, being frugal with your misc and entertainment money, pay your utilities when you know what they are, then send anything left at the END of the month as your extra debt payments?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Ishtar

Well.... yeah.

I went through this same thing very recently. It turns out that that credit card that is your friend when you are short of cash is your greatest enemy when you can't pay it off next month.

How many cards do you have? Two, three? Is there equal debt on each one? What did I do when I realized that I had a lot of debt ($15,000+) in credit cards?

First, I took them out of my wallet. All but one. I kept one in my wallet to use when I really needed it (emergency gas money etc).

Second, I canceled my ATM card. I was getting so lost in how much money was in my account that I can't even describe it.

Third, I stopped buying anything that I didn't need. Booring life? No. I still went to movies and hung out with friends, but I didn't ALSO get that new CD I wanted, I just listened to the radio or the ones I already owned.

Then I proceeded to pay of my cards. I took the one with the highest interest rate and tackled it first. I made slightly more than the minimum payment on all my other cards (if the minimum was $60, I paid $75 or $100). Then I made sure that I paid any new charges on the one card that I allowed myself to use and all of my other bills.

Then after that I sent in all of the rest of my money to the one card I was trying to (kill) get rid of.

With some help from company bonuses (which can go a long way to paying off credit card debt) I have managed to get myself debt free.

This is what worked for me. I don't know if it is the most financially responsible but if you can get rid of your highest interest (loan) credit card first then you are spending less money on (nothing) interest.

jhines0042

Author: wileyjon Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55142 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/23/2001 1:02 PM
Sorry, no pointers. I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone in feeling a money crunch. I don't fritter a dime, yet still never can seem to have a dime for myself. Misery does love company. Being an adult stinks!

Author: gallacobar Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55150 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/23/2001 1:21 PM
Just got the same "message" from my daughter.How did all this happen, has it been happening, and lets get a grip! This is the real world where bill come in from purchases, CD's, Dinners and clothes. THis is what I'm going to do:
1. get rid of cards
2. consolidate debt at less then the 19% your paying
3.get someone to pay your bills and give you the cash to live on.Give them your check
4. check your pay stubs for too much taken in out for 401k's etc.
5. Still can't make it. Get another job, waiting tables, etc, until the balances are paid off.
If you cant take these steps declare bankruptcy, but suffer those consequences for some time....better see a consumer credit counselor, ask our credit card company/
Good luck... lets see if my daughter follows this advic e

Author: Freeisp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55155 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/23/2001 2:07 PM
Hey sounds like we are in the same boat,, Sort of.... Except I am unemployed and from where I reside for now no possibilities of any substantial employment in the near furture. I am a 43yr old father of two small children.. With a credit report that won't allow us to sign for a piece of .05 gum. I was involved in a Auto accident back in 1995 which permantly injured my spinal cord which makes finding gainful employment all that much harder since employers don't want the medical responsibility. we haven't had a active credit card since 1995 and it don't look like we ever will. We are facing eviction from our 1963 single wide rental and I am surprised my electric service hasn't been shut off even though we haven't paid the bill for several months now. We have a rental refrigerator which will be picked up at the end of the day because I can't pay the $20.00 fee. My vehicle is out of gas out in the yard and I am at the end of my rope. Suicide would be an option but I can't stand the thought of my two young children growing up without their father. I have started looking into investing and other options I could do from home but like the old adage says,"It takes cash to make cash"..
Hang in there and I will try to do the same.

Author: kokobreen Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55171 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/23/2001 3:33 PM
Since you have a physical disability--apply for a government job. All applicants with physical disabilities are given first shot at the job. They will even take underqualified applicants. I would highly consider it.

This is the link to the USGS jobs database:
http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/text/information.html

Author: chesterjg Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55203 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/23/2001 6:29 PM
Contact the Consumer Credit Counseling Service on your area.They should be in the phone book. These people are great.They will help you get out of debt and work out a managable budget for you.

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55216 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/23/2001 8:07 PM
Have you tried applying for some sort of government assistance? SSI or maybe something where they would train you for a new type of job? Also you might contact some of the churches in your area.

Stockbuyer2

Author: mlomker Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55271 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/24/2001 9:59 AM
These people are great.They will help you get out of debt and work out a managable budget for you.

They'll also destroy your credit and charge you a small fortune. I'm not a
fan.

http://www.budhibbs.com/askbud.htm

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56010 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/29/2001 7:56 PM
milleniumfalcon,

take a deep breath. it's going to be OK.
You are doing all the right things, and you should be proud of yourself. You obviously know what you have to do to get out of debt, and even though it is TIGHT for you every month, you haven't given up. Please don't!

fellow st. louis resident,
d

perhaps I should treat the guy to an ice-cold beer one of these days????

Author: InvestorGrrl Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56014 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 1/29/2001 8:59 PM
dianakalt signed off one of her posts with:
d

perhaps I should treat the guy to an ice-cold beer one of these days????

InvestorGrrl sez:
Hey, I sent a private e-mail suggesting he ask a friend to take him to Crown Candy Fountain so he can pour his heart out over a Newport. Maybe Fitz's for root beer? McGurk's? Ted Drewes?

Not a Saint Louis resident,

InvestorGrrl

Author: sabaka1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56656 of 308230
Subject: Re: I AM FREAKIN OUT!!!!!!!!!! Date: 2/1/2001 8:40 PM
d

Another one!

Awesome!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement