Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am going to stick my neck out here. Beware, I am uninformed. But "resident alien" and "non-resident alien" are legal terms. If you are are a resident alien, you have a green card (by the way, green cards are pink these days). That means you have pretty much all the rights a U.S. citizen does, except you cannot vote.

If you are a nonresident alien, your rights are more restricted. For example, if things are as they used to be, if you are a student and married, your wife may not hold a job.

Either way, if you make money here, Uncle Sammy is going to want his cut. Now, I could see there could be exceptions. For example, I believe the Bank of Nova Scotia is trying to take over some bank in Chicago. So maybe if you lived in Chicago for 2 months as a Canadian and were paid by the Canadian bank all that time, that would not count.

Otherwise, it would.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.