Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am hoping someone can help me with this...
I purchased shares of Enterprise Products Partners L.P. and hold them in my 401K account. I believe all stock dividend and interest income held within a 401K is not taxed until distibutions are made. Further, I do not believe that gains or losses are noteworthy until the time of distribution.
I am puzzled, because I received a Form 1065 K1 from EPD, and I don't know what to do with it. Do I ignore it because it resides in my 401K, or do I report it?
Thank you for your help!

Basically, you can ignore it. However, there is a catch. There should be an entry on the K-1 labeled "Unrelated Business Income". If that number exceeds $1000 in any year from all of your 401(k) investments, your 401(k) will have to file a 990 Tax Return.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.