Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
I am in the same situation, I withdrew $1000 of original Roth contributions, thinking it would have no tax consequences, mainly going on the following Fool article:
Choose a Roth IRA if you can do without the tax break right now. It's a more flexible instrument, because:

It allows you to withdraw your contributions at any time, penalty- and tax-free.

So thanks Motley Fool, real money saving investment advice. I now owe $100 and must file an admended return due to this dangerously false advice.

What are you griping about? The Fool's advice is correct. If you withdrew a contribution, you don't owe a penalty. If you withdrew a conversion within 5 years and don't meet any of the exceptions, you do owe a penalty. If you didn't read the rules and don't know the difference between a contribution and a conversion, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.