Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 701  
Subject: Re: Any good web site for info on LEXUS RX460H Date: 5/27/2011 10:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am looking for a good web site that can explain how a particular hybrid works. I am looking at the Lexus RX460h model and would like to understand the workings and costs involved (battery replacement ??) before I buy one.

Well, Lexus's own website seem to have a lot. As for this hybrid model, it has the same warranty on the hybrid system as standard Toyota hybrids, that is, 8-years, 100,000 miles.

Battery replacement is probably something you shouldn't worry about much due to the warranty as stated above, unless you plan to drive like a cross-country trucker.

The RX460h comes in either FWD or AWD, but the BIG difference is that the AWD model has a second electric motor just for the rear, yet the total horsepower for both models are 295 HP.

On this and other boards, I've mentioned on how the battery pack in Prius's work and how they may fail. Typically you'll be well over 150K miles before a battery "cell pack" will fail. The total battery pack in a Toyota hybrid consists of multiple "cell packs" of like 6 individual batteries (each about the size of a D-cell battery) which are bundled together to make a cell. If a cell-pack fails, you will get a warning, but the entire battery pack will still function, just perhaps on a shorter range and decreased gas mileage. If you go into a dealer to fix this, only the failing cell-pack will be replaced, not the entire battery-pack, as many folks needlessly worry about.

Unless my sources have new information, there haven't been many complaints or anecdotes on "real life" battery replacements, except for if a hybrid gets into a rear-end car crash. There's a rumor that when Toyota tested and built the first-gen Prius for the home market, they made sure that the batteries didn't need replacing until after 180K miles. Again, a rumor, FWIW.

Duck
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement