Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
I am no SS expert, but here goes anyway.

RBMunkin: "I've studied a good deal about what, how, and when to apply for social security benefits. But the one piece of information I'm looking for isn't easy to find apparently.

I've heard that the work years just before retirement count the most toward getting higher benefits."

Heard from whom? If you did hear/read this, then I surmise that the speaker/authoer including an unspolken assumption that one's last years would be ones highest paid years. That may or may not be a correct assumption.

" Say retirement is age 66. Is it true that the amount you make from ages 62-66 determine your benefits more so than amounts you make in earlier years?"

Only if the latter years replace lower earning years (and note that AIME is inflation adjusted) earlier in your career.

"I've read that they take the average of your highest 35 years. So that sounds like it doesn't matter WHICH years you make the higher amounts in."

I have read the same, and agree with your conclusion.

"My big question is, what if you stop working at age 60ish but don't claim benefits until 66 or even 70?"

those are zero income years for purposed of benefit calculations.

"Is that going to screw you over since the years close to retirement are zero income years?"

Only if (a) you do not have 35 years of earned income, so that the zeros get included int he highest 35 year calcuation or (b) your icnome in those years (if you had worked) would have been higher than earlier years (inflation adjsuted) included in your highest 35 years.

SS has started proding written statements again, so you you shoudl be able to review your own numbers and situation.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement