Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jailleres One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Sale of rental property Date: 8/12/2001 9:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I am not a tax professional. I did this once on my personal taxes, which I make a lot of mistakes on. I recommend you see a tax pro because you'll be dealing with this issue, with recaptured depreciation, and with schedule D gains and losses.

My source is J.K.Lasser, 2000 tax year. So you need to get the current one or find the related IRS pubs (pubs 544 and 550 and Schedule D), to start with.

>>>The reason we rented was because we could not sell it for a fair price when I moved to a new job.

Lasser, p. 473: "If you are forced to sell your principal residence before meeting the 2 out of 5 year ownership and use tests because of a change in your place of employment or health or unforeseen circumstances, the exclusion is prorated.... The IRS allocates the exclusion on a daily basis..."
Since the exclusion on personal residences is $250K every so often (2years?), if you work that out over 2 years, you get about $10K of excluded gain for each month that you lived in the house. So right there you will owe no taxes on the gain.

>>>I did include depreciation in my net gain, but I think I underestimated the amountI did include depreciation in my net gain, but I think I underestimated the amount.

Get your tax records and find out. What I do next is to make and Excel spreadsheet of Schedule D and start working out the numbers. You have to load in the whole Schedule D calculations, though, and it gets tricky. The depreciation makes the whole thing more complicated and I don't know if it is allowed to be excluded as discussed above. It has a special tax rate of 25% on Schedule D. So I recommend getting your stuff all on a spreadsheet, or at least in a proper filing system and added up to reduce the fees, and find a good tax accountant. You still have time before year end to work it out and see if selling stocks will benefit you.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement