No. of Recommendations: 4
I am not addressing everything -

We have high speed internet. Its around 90 a month. It could be gone. But the wife will not go with that . . . because Facebook is a big part of her life . . .

Serious Gaming requires HI SPEED internet -
"regular" DSL or standard cable internet is PLENTY fast enough for FB.
At&T DSL is about $70/month (that includes the landline - have to have it to have the DSL)
If you have a cable bundle, tell them you don;t need the Hi SPeed anymore, and you want to eliminate the "cable TV" part of it- just use the internet
You can see almost everything for which you have time on hulu.
$90 for internet alone is too much (and no matter what *they* say when you call, you will likely not even notice a difference - don't tell her and see if she notices)

We each have a cell phone. How did people exist without them 30 years ago?! She would never part with her cell phone.

Not touching this topic, I am sure plenty of others will - but there is a difference between *parting with one's phone* and changing plans...

Because most families can easily save 200 bucks a month there. I don't think my wife has changed her grocery shopping much. Lots of processed food. Lots of 'juices' in fancy packaging. As my Dad rightly says, "10 cents of juice, in four bucks worth of packaging." We do these kind of dumb stuff also with cheese, crackers, etc...

Stop here- Take over the grocery shopping.
Don;t argue about it- just do it.
For 5 of you, you can probably knock your food budget down considerably but it will take a little planning and some adjustment.
First - YOU DO IT.
Second - make a list. DO NOT purchase anything that is not on the list.
2a - menu plan (meaning if you buy chicken, you have a plan for it- burritos, pot pie, caesar salad...)
Third - do not buy any cleaners/cleansers/etc - either dilute what you currently have in your cupboards and/or switch entirely to Baking Soda, Borax & White vinegar- Google will tell you how to make this all you need.
Next- stop with the convenience *crap*
If the girls have to have juice- spend a little money on one nice, drip proof drink container *each* - for which they are responsible- no container= no drink...
and buy juice in bulk/concentrate.
Keep a refillable gallon thermos or water jug in the car- if they run out of juice, there is always a drink available

Ditto for "lunchables" and such -
Buy (not name brand) crackers and slice the cheese etc ...
For 3 kids, you can save $6 per lunch/afternoon by doing this yourself.

Now, I do not have 3 kids, no, but when I was broke, broke, broke, I had 2 kids and 3 jobs. SO i know these things can be done.

Stop with the convenience foods- if your wife is primarily a SAHM, she can prepare a meal, or at least assemble ingredients to put into a crockpot-
if you don;t have one, get one and learn to use and love it...

there are numerous threads on this topic alone (both on this board and Living Below your means)

peace & being a tightwad
t
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement