No. of Recommendations: 0
I am not certain you really need to talk to a live financial planner. You seem pretty savvy already. Or, at least you have a working BS detector and are willing to walk away from the shysters.

If you don't really feel comfortable making your own decisions, a guy could do a lot worse than to just subscribe to Bob Brinker's MarketTimer newsletter & follow his recommendations. Take a look at: http://www.bobbrinker.com/ . Since 1988 the CAGR of his "model portfolio I" is on the order of 14% . The CAGR for the past 5 years is ~ 9%. Both of these results are well above your 7% criteria.

Cost is $185 per year. And, as I recall the damn geezer very nearly predicted the 2000 market top. I thought I was smarter than he was and didn't get out in time. My net worth has recovered & is now well above the 2000 high, but I will admit when someone has spanked me in the market.

I am going to retire in less than a year and will roll my 401k over into an IRA which pretty much follows his model portfolio I.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement