Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am not expert on SS, but if you sister worked for 40 quarters, she may be able to claim a discounted amount based on her own wages. It may not be much, but if eligible it would be more than zero.

She also needs to understand the permanent reduction that results from claiming before full retirement age

Later she will be able to claim SS based on her husband's SS. If her SS payment is less than what she will be eligible under her husband's, claiming hers now may not result in a reduction of benefits.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.