Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8141  
Subject: Re: Got our Financial Award Yesterday... Date: 4/5/2012 2:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am not sure what else would cost other than quoted from schools. Airfare to and from home few times a year? Summer school or study abroad? Cell phone, Car, rent? How much more should I prepare to be reasonable on top of the $60,000 quoted from the private school already?

Typically, the amount quoted from the school includes tuition, room and board. Some schools have a 'total cost' listed on their website that includes estimates for books, spending money, and travel expenses home.

Summer school is optional, and so that is not included in the annual cost number, but it can be used to accelerate the time to graduation, so might come off the back end.

Study abroad is extra. For that, you have to pay the difference between the tuition, room and board at the school and those same things abroad. DD is currently doing her study abroad semester in Florence,Italy, and it actually cost me $400 LESS than if she were here at school, and she attends one of those pricey private schools, so in your case, I'd just assume that it will be a wash there, but the additional travel will cost. They told us to expect $5000-$8000 additional in travel expenses for the student to visit other countries. From what I can see, DD, who is very frugal and is doing quite a lot of travel, is going to come in much closer to $2000-$3000, and we did tell her to take advantage of all travel opportunities and that we would pay for it.

My kids are juniors, and getting them a car on campus is just not in the cards. Freshmen typically aren't allowed cars, and I don't think my kids need the added headaches that come with it, so that's not even on my list.

You might need something for cell phone, but we have found that the $10 per child family plan has worked well, and we're never even close to using all our minutes. I did add the unlimited texting for all four of us at $30 per month when they went to school, and that was definitely worthwhile.

FWIW, my kids are responsible for paying for their own books, spending money, car insurance on our vehicles that they drive, and gas for the car when they are home during the summer and driving to work.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement