UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: johnb1662 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Conversion: Trad to Roth Date: 2/17/2004 9:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am now 66 years old. I am converting my Traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs at a rate which causes a Federal Income Tax expense I can afford.

I did not start a Roth when they first became available because I could not believe that Congress would be so generous. NO taxes on the accumulated earnings EVER??? And no mandatory withdrawals at 70 and one half years of age???

If you are in the thirty to forty year old class, I think it is a no brainer. A traditional IRA is 100% taxable ordinary income when you take it out. Yes, you got a Federal Income Tax itemizable deduction when you contributed, but contributions are a small part of the total you hope to withdraw.

I opened a tradtional IRA for my wife with five annual contributions of $2,000; the last contribution was made in 1982. She has withdrawn $24,250 and has about $81,000 left. I would have happily given up the $10,000 tax deduction to keep $105,000 off our Form 1040.

Set up a spread sheet with a $3,000 annual contribution, a modest rate of return like 5%, opening balance zero, and see how soon the annual earnings swamp the annual contributions.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement