Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am owed a bit of money for approved employee expenses. I submitted expense reports and they were approved by the company's accounting department. There is no possibility of receiving payment. The company had $50 million in secured debt and considerably less in assets. I am unclear where (or if) I can deduct this debt.

I don't see how you can call it anything other than unreimbursed employee business expenses, a miscellaneous deduction on Schedule A, subject to the 2% of AGI exclusion.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.