Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 5
I am paying my niece's college tuition, and expenses this year. She is an international student, so likely will exceed 50K total this year.

I understand that if I include my wife, both of us can gift $14,000, that is total $28,000 this year.

So, with 50K tuition, room and board, how do I file my tax in 2015? Do I have to pay some taxes for this that exceeds $28,000 limit?

If you make the payments directly to the school, the tuition cost is exempt from gift tax reporting. Payments for other expenses are still subject to gift tax reporting if the total (with other gifts to the niece) exceeds $14K ($28K if given jointly with your wife).

Gift tax returns are filed separately from your income tax return. Even if you are required to file a gift tax return, you won't owe any gift tax unless you've already exceeded your lifetime gift tax exemption. See the instructions for Form 709, US Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return,, for all the details.

Don't forget to check whether your state has its own version of the gift tax.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.