Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[I am planning to donate a lot worth $50.000 for them to use for purchaing a new church building,
also same time sell my rental property which has capital gain about same amount of $50.000. I
have been own them well above 5 years. I am retired now and 15% tax bracket( I think). Am I still
paying capital gain tax? If it is, how much? Thanks a million.]]

That is simply impossiblt to tell. You may have other income or deductions. But you should know that, at best, your charitable deduction can NOT exceed 50% of your adjusted gross income.

So if your only income is the $50k gain on the sale of the rental property, your maximum charitable contribution would be only $25k, with the remainder carried over for the next five years. could get even worse. If the church is planning on SELLING the property in order to raise funds to purchase the church, your charitable contribution will be limited to only 30% of your AGI. So again, if your only income is the $50k from the sale of the property, then your maximum charitable contribution will only be $15,000, with the remainder carried over.

So I would STRONGLY suggest that you get some professional tax assistance with respect to this contribution. I would certainly think that your church will help you with that end of things at no charge to you. That's really normal...I do it for my church from time to time without charge to either the church or the donor.

TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. There is still time available to do that tax planning (and tax saving) before the end of the year. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Pay special attention to the "archives" section. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.